October Awareness Month
SERVPRO of Columbus wanted to bring some awareness to our viewers and let you know that the month of October has Days, Weeks, and Months of awareness that you can take part in.
• National Physical Therapy Month
• American Pharmacists Month
• National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
• National Dental Hygiene Month
• National Chiropractic Month
• Residents' Rights Month
Weeks to note:
• Oct. 1 to Oct. 7: National Mental Illness Awareness Week
• Oct. 2 to Oct. 6: National Primary Care Week
• Oct. 8 to Oct. 15: Case Management Week
• Oct. 12 to Oct. 20: Bone and Joint Health Action Week
• Oct. 15 to Oct. 21 National Healthcare Quality Week
• Oct. 16 to Oct. 20: National Health Education Week
• Oct. 22 to Oct. 28: National Respiratory Care Week
Days to note:
• Oct. 5: National Depression Screening Day
• Oct. 10: World Mental Health Day
• Oct 8: World Hospice and Palliative Care Day
• Oct. 13: Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day
• Oct. 15: Global Handwashing Day (member to singing your ABC's)
On a side note, we wanted to also mention that Hurricane season is still upon us and we are working alongside our fellow franchisees to assist in all disaster that comes through our areas.
Although our hometown of South Muscogee & Columbus, GA was not heavily impacted by Hurricane Michael. We are sending our crews out to surrounding areas to assist in the relief and remediation of the wake that Hurricane Michael left on October 10th, and October 11th, 2018.
- Notify your family members and friends to inform them that you are safe
- Call your insurance company to start the initial process
- Keep a record of all communications between the insurance company, local contractors, and vendors that you plan on using
- Do not enter a property that appears to be unsafe
- Do not travel near water areas where powerline are down
- Keep your emergency kits nearby
*For additional tips please look back at our Hurricane Preparedness Blog from Sept 2018*
SERVPRO of Columbus wants to remind everyone to stay safe and to reach out to your Local SERVPRO for any assistance in the upcoming days, weeks, and months.
Wheels o’ Fire w/ Harris County Volunteer Fire Department
Who says firefighters only put out the fire! Come an join them for their annual motorcycle ride.
SERVPRO of Columbus will have a tent set up for the Wheel’s O’ Fire event this Saturday, September 29th, 2018 to show our support for the Harris County Volunteer Fire Department. We are a community that loves to work alongside the Harris County Chamber and their Volunteers. This will be our Second year that we’ve been invited to join the fun. If you’re in the area and looking for something great to be a part of. Then stop by and say Hello to Robyn our SMR.
Interested in riding your Motorcycle? See below on how to sign up.
This exciting event is celebrating its 17th annual ride along. Local riders are encouraged to register online at www.harriscountychamber.org there is a fee, however, proceeds will go to the Harris County Volunteer Fire Department.
Starting point: Piney Grove Baptist Church 20 GA HWY 315 Fortson, GA
Registration starts at 9 AM
We look forward to seeing you there!
Hurricane Preparedness - S. Muscogee
“History teaches that a lack of hurricane preparedness and awareness are common threads among all major hurricane disasters. By knowing your vulnerability and what actions you should take, you can reduce the effects of a hurricane disaster.”
The above quotes are from the website of the National Hurricane Center.
Be Prepared! Plan Ahead.
- Know your evacuation and shelter routes
- Keep your emergency supplies stocked
- Remain alert and updated on local weather changes
- Make plans for pets
- Check with insurance to see if you have Flood Insurance
- Board-up windows/doors if you do leave
Recommended Emergency Supply List
- A three-day supply of bottled water per person
- Non-perishable food (canned, dried, etc.)
- First Aid Kit and any prescription medicines
- Battery-powered radio, extra batteries
- Flashlights, batteries
- Flares, booster cables, tire repair kit, fire extinguisher
- Special items for infants, elderly or disabled family members, pets
- List of emergency phone numbers
- Come back when the city allows
- Enter your home with caution
- Beware of snakes, insects, and animals driven to higher ground by flood waters
- Check electrical breakers
- Take photos of any damages to the property
- Assist your neighbors if possible
SERVPRO of Columbus/S. Muscogee is here to assist you with all remediation or nation disaster needs.
When A Tree Falls
Tree Being Removed From Roof
Here in the Muscogee County area, we have had an unusual amount of heavy rain and storms so far this year. With those come strong winds that can weaken the trees surrounding your home until one day you hear a sound that every homeowner dreads. A tree has given in to the stress and CRASH, there is a tree in your living room and the rain is pouring in. Now what?
First: Make sure your family and pets are safe.
Second: If you can safely do so, turn off the power. Water + Electricity = Bad
Third: Call SERVPRO of Columbus @ 706.568.1934
We are on-call 24 hours a day to respond to your storm damaged home or business. SERVPRO of Columbus can handle the entire job from top to bottom, and coordinate directly with your insurance company to make the process as stress free as possible. We handle insurance claims for storm damaged homes and businesses all the time, and are familiar with all of the local insurance agents and adjusters.
Our quick respondors will mitigate your home to help prevent any further damage from the storm and after one of our professional tree removal contractors removes your new addition, we can clean, dry, and repair your home or business. It is always easier dealing with one company that can do everything, than several companies doing different parts of a job.
Don’t let a tree on your roof or storm damage stress you out. Whether you live in Fortson, Midland, Upatoi, Columbus, Ft. Benning, or any of the surrounding areas, you can call SERVPRO of Columbus 24/7 at 706.568.1934 to any size disaster!
Small Fire, Big Deal
A Small Fire Can Be A Big Deal
A fire inside your home or business is never good, but what if it is a just a small kitchen fire that was extinguished quickly, or a shorted out electrical outlet that only burned for a few minutes? The damage caused by a small fire can still be a huge problem. Smoke and soot travel quickly, especially through air vents, and sometimes it can be difficult to know what other areas of your home or business have been affected.
There are actually different types of smoke and soot that must be cleaned using solutions that are specifically designed to target the type of damage you have, and the kind of surface it has settled on. SERVPRO of Columbus has specially trained and certified technicians that know where to look, and perform tests to determine what type of smoke or soot your home and belongings have been affected by. They know exactly what solutions are used on particular surfaces and materials to restore them while preventing further damage that can be caused by using chemicals or cleaners not designed for your specific type of damage.
So, before you wipe down that antique table that your grandmother gave you with “furniture cleaner”, or spray your curtains with that blue bottle from under the sink, call SERVPRO of Columbus at 706.568.1934 any time, day or night
How Dry Is Dry
A Typical Moisture Meter Used By SERVPRO Technicians
How Dry Is Dry?
When you experience water damage to your Columbus, Ga home or business, how do you know when it is really dry?
At SERVPRO of Columbus, we have certified technicians that use professional techniques and equipment like moisture meters to ensure the proper amount of drying has taken place.
Did you know that some materials can be over-dried? Things like wood floors and some building materials require a certain amount of moisture to maintain their strength and shape. The proper amount can also be dependent on several factors like elevation and region.
Our technicians know exactly how much moisture is appropriate for all of the materials in your home, and will be sure to restore them correctly.
If you have water damage in Muscogee County, call SERVPRO of Columbus 24 hours a day @ 706.568.1934. We look forward to hearing from you!
Muscogee County Mold
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remedy your mold infestation.
Mold Growth Conditions In Columbus, Ga
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of Columbus to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business.
If you suspect mold, call us today at 706.568.1934
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Columbus for mold remediation services.
Is Your Columbus, Ga Business Prepared?
Do your employees know what to do in the event of a disaster? Who do they call if they open in the morning and your business is flooded? What if the break room microwave starts a fire?
SERVPRO of Columbus is here to help. We offer a free service called an Emergency Ready Profile. This is a file that we create for your business to keep in a central location that contains emergency contacts, utility company phone numbers, locations and pictures of the utility shut-offs for your building, and any special instructions that you would like to include. We will also attach tags to the utility shut-offs so that they are immediately visible.
Time is always a factor in these types of situations. Having a plan will help to ensure that the damage to your business is minimized.
After everyone is safe and any necessary emergency responders have been called, be sure to call SERVPRO of Columbus at 706.568.1934 so that we can get you back open for business as quickly as possible!