Protecting Yourself from Heat Stress
Our Safety Tip for the Month of July:
Protecting yourself from heat stress. Heat illness can be a matter of life and death. Workers die from heat stroke every summer and every death is preventable.
Here are the signs:
Heat Exhaustion - Symptoms
- Dizziness or fainting
- Wet skin
- Nausea or vomiting
WARNING: If you feel FAINT, CONFUSED, or if you Vomit- seek help fast.
Heat Stroke - symptoms
- Maybe confused
- Maybe unable to think clearly
- May collapse
- May have a seizure (fits)
- May stop sweating
- Call the supervisor & ask for medical help (if in the working environment)
- Move the person to a cooler place to rest in the shade. Stay with the person.
- Give the person water as long as he/she is not losing consciousness or vomiting.
- Loosen the person's clothing
- Help cool the person. Fan the person, put ic packs on the person's groin and underarms, or soak the person's clothing with cool water.
Remember SERVPRO friends and family to stay hydrated in this summer heat and to know what to do in case of an emergency.
Trauma and Crime Scene Cleanup
No one ever wants to come home to find that someone broke into their home/business. After the police level the property and release the scene what is the next step?
SERVPRO of Columbus is here to help! We are certified in cleaning those type of scenes. Will working with your insurance company on the claim or self-paying clients. SERVPRO can be on the scene to assist.
Services our local franchise offer's:
- Crime Scene Cleanup
- Contents/Personal Property inventory
- Emergency Board-ups
- General Construction Repairs (if any interior or exterior damages occurred)
- General Cleaning (carpet/furniture)
We will work alongside you during this time of trauma.
If you have any questions please reach out to our office for assistance.
SPRING is Here!
It's official SPRING 2019 is here! Although, in some States, the temperatures are still low. SERVPRO of Columbus wants to recommend everyone that we are here for your general cleaning needs (carpet cleanings and duct cleanings).
Below are some helpful Spring Cleaning Tips:
1. Make a Schedule - print a calendar and pick days to complete a certain task. Not everything needs to be done in one day.
2. De-Clutter (home offices, junk drawers, closets)
3. Always work from the Top to Bottom
4. Use a HEPA Vacuum
5. Use Non-Toxin chemicals (SERVPRO always thinks GREEN)
6. Windows and Walls (don't forget behind the doors)
7. Deep clean kitchens and bathrooms (throw-out expired items)
8. Change out those Air Filters in your home (Call SERVPRO today for a duct cleaning and mention your filter size so we can change it out as well)
9. USE PPE - Personal Protective Equipment for anyone with allergies its important to wear a mask and gloves during the cleaning process.
10. Make-Over it's also a good time to freshen up the home with new candles or pillows or maybe a fresh coat of paint.
SERVPRO of Columbus is so happy to finally see SPRING arrive. We look forward to hearing for our community when it comes time to schedule your next Duct Cleaning or Carpet Cleaning.
Personal Property - Move Outs
SERVPRO of Columbus works alongside many different insurance companies and their insureds when it comes to Personal Property.
When a loss occurs and personal belongings are involved SERVPRO offers other services by performing a Pack-Out, Storage, and Pack-Back.
Our process is very detailed depending on the type of loss. All items that are scheduled to be removed from your property will be inventoried and a list is created so it can be provided to your insurance company. All items are stored in a climate controlled warehouse. Then returned to your property once your home is back to its normal state.
Give SERVPRO of Columbus a call if you're looking for the right company to handle your personal property "contents" during your next claim.
Happy Thanksgiving! We here at SERVPRO of Columbus want to remind our customers that this holiday season is not only about celebrating with family around the dinner table but it's also about watching out for Grease Fires or property damages that can occur while preparing for your holiday meal.
- Rember if you are frying a turkey to keep the fryer away from the home and not under your carport.
- Make sure to have a plan ready in case of an emergency does occur.
- Place the fryer on a level surface, and avoid moving it once it's in use.
- Leave 2 feet between the tank and the burner when using a propane-powered fryer.
- Skip the stuffing when frying turkey, and avoid water-based marinades.
- Keep children and pets away from the fryer at all times.
- Once finished, carefully remove the pot from the burner, place it on a level surface and cover to let the oil cool overnight before disposing of.
Happy Turkey Day from our SERVPRO family to yours.
October Awareness Month
SERVPRO of Columbus wanted to bring some awareness to our viewers and let you know that the month of October has Days, Weeks, and Months of awareness that you can take part in.
• National Physical Therapy Month
• American Pharmacists Month
• National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
• National Dental Hygiene Month
• National Chiropractic Month
• Residents' Rights Month
Weeks to note:
• Oct. 1 to Oct. 7: National Mental Illness Awareness Week
• Oct. 2 to Oct. 6: National Primary Care Week
• Oct. 8 to Oct. 15: Case Management Week
• Oct. 12 to Oct. 20: Bone and Joint Health Action Week
• Oct. 15 to Oct. 21 National Healthcare Quality Week
• Oct. 16 to Oct. 20: National Health Education Week
• Oct. 22 to Oct. 28: National Respiratory Care Week
Days to note:
• Oct. 5: National Depression Screening Day
• Oct. 10: World Mental Health Day
• Oct 8: World Hospice and Palliative Care Day
• Oct. 13: Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day
• Oct. 15: Global Handwashing Day (member to singing your ABC's)
On a side note, we wanted to also mention that Hurricane season is still upon us and we are working alongside our fellow franchisees to assist in all disaster that comes through our areas.
Although our hometown of South Muscogee & Columbus, GA was not heavily impacted by Hurricane Michael. We are sending our crews out to surrounding areas to assist in the relief and remediation of the wake that Hurricane Michael left on October 10th, and October 11th, 2018.
- Notify your family members and friends to inform them that you are safe
- Call your insurance company to start the initial process
- Keep a record of all communications between the insurance company, local contractors, and vendors that you plan on using
- Do not enter a property that appears to be unsafe
- Do not travel near water areas where powerline are down
- Keep your emergency kits nearby
*For additional tips please look back at our Hurricane Preparedness Blog from Sept 2018*
SERVPRO of Columbus wants to remind everyone to stay safe and to reach out to your Local SERVPRO for any assistance in the upcoming days, weeks, and months.
Wheels o’ Fire w/ Harris County Volunteer Fire Department
Who says firefighters only put out the fire! Come an join them for their annual motorcycle ride.
SERVPRO of Columbus will have a tent set up for the Wheel’s O’ Fire event this Saturday, September 29th, 2018 to show our support for the Harris County Volunteer Fire Department. We are a community that loves to work alongside the Harris County Chamber and their Volunteers. This will be our Second year that we’ve been invited to join the fun. If you’re in the area and looking for something great to be a part of. Then stop by and say Hello to Robyn our SMR.
Interested in riding your Motorcycle? See below on how to sign up.
This exciting event is celebrating its 17th annual ride along. Local riders are encouraged to register online at www.harriscountychamber.org there is a fee, however, proceeds will go to the Harris County Volunteer Fire Department.
Starting point: Piney Grove Baptist Church 20 GA HWY 315 Fortson, GA
Registration starts at 9 AM
We look forward to seeing you there!
Hurricane Preparedness - S. Muscogee
“History teaches that a lack of hurricane preparedness and awareness are common threads among all major hurricane disasters. By knowing your vulnerability and what actions you should take, you can reduce the effects of a hurricane disaster.”
The above quotes are from the website of the National Hurricane Center.
Be Prepared! Plan Ahead.
- Know your evacuation and shelter routes
- Keep your emergency supplies stocked
- Remain alert and updated on local weather changes
- Make plans for pets
- Check with insurance to see if you have Flood Insurance
- Board-up windows/doors if you do leave
Recommended Emergency Supply List
- A three-day supply of bottled water per person
- Non-perishable food (canned, dried, etc.)
- First Aid Kit and any prescription medicines
- Battery-powered radio, extra batteries
- Flashlights, batteries
- Flares, booster cables, tire repair kit, fire extinguisher
- Special items for infants, elderly or disabled family members, pets
- List of emergency phone numbers
- Come back when the city allows
- Enter your home with caution
- Beware of snakes, insects, and animals driven to higher ground by flood waters
- Check electrical breakers
- Take photos of any damages to the property
- Assist your neighbors if possible
SERVPRO of Columbus/S. Muscogee is here to assist you with all remediation or nation disaster needs.
When A Tree Falls
Tree Being Removed From Roof
Here in the Muscogee County area, we have had an unusual amount of heavy rain and storms so far this year. With those come strong winds that can weaken the trees surrounding your home until one day you hear a sound that every homeowner dreads. A tree has given in to the stress and CRASH, there is a tree in your living room and the rain is pouring in. Now what?
First: Make sure your family and pets are safe.
Second: If you can safely do so, turn off the power. Water + Electricity = Bad
Third: Call SERVPRO of Columbus @ 706.568.1934
We are on-call 24 hours a day to respond to your storm damaged home or business. SERVPRO of Columbus can handle the entire job from top to bottom, and coordinate directly with your insurance company to make the process as stress free as possible. We handle insurance claims for storm damaged homes and businesses all the time, and are familiar with all of the local insurance agents and adjusters.
Our quick respondors will mitigate your home to help prevent any further damage from the storm and after one of our professional tree removal contractors removes your new addition, we can clean, dry, and repair your home or business. It is always easier dealing with one company that can do everything, than several companies doing different parts of a job.
Don’t let a tree on your roof or storm damage stress you out. Whether you live in Fortson, Midland, Upatoi, Columbus, Ft. Benning, or any of the surrounding areas, you can call SERVPRO of Columbus 24/7 at 706.568.1934 to any size disaster!