Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Have you experience a recent fire to your property? Do you know what is the next step once the Fire Department leaves?
Call SERVPRO of Columbus, GA! We will walk you through the steps that you will need to take once your insurance claim is filed. If you do not have insurance then we will be able to provide you with an estimate to assist with getting your property back to "Like it never even happened."
Our technicians will walk the property and complete the following:
- Initial Photos
- Sketching the loss site
- Getting paperwork signed
- Providing estimate to the insurance company or insured for approval
- Discuss the next stages on our timeline
We will handle your claim with the respect and professionalism.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (706) 568-1934
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.